Assistant Textile Technician - Shetland College
Ref no: SIC01589
Closes: Thursday, 16th March 2017
Published: Thursday, 23rd February 2017
Location: Shetland College, Gremista, Lerwick
Salary: £20,088.28 - £23,003.58 per year Dependant on experience
Hours: 37.00 hours per week
Contract Type: Permanent
Position Type: Full Time
Organisation: Shetland Islands Council
Sub-category: Teaching Support
Proposed Interview Date: 17 March 2017
Grade F: The purpose of this role is to learn the role of the Assistant Textile Technician within the Shetland College Textile Facilitation Unit. The expectation is that the post holder would progress to the Grade G role after two years of satisfactory employment.
Grade G: The purpose of this role is to assist the Textile Technician in providing a complete knitting and makeup service within the Shetland College Textile Facilitation Unit.
More details is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached below.
This post is based at Shetland College, Gremista, Lerwick.
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Simon Clarke, Senior Lecturer Creative Industries, 01595771278, email@example.com
Please follow the link(s) below for further information.
- The grade of this post is Grade F/G.
- Salary shown is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance (£1,998 per annum (pro rata).
- This post is career graded. Your salary and career progression will depend on your experience and qualifications.
- Established post for 37.0 Hours per Week hours per week for 52.18 weeks per year.
- Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (children) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme updates prior to a formal offer of appointment being made.
- A relocation package does not apply to this post.
- We will pay interview expenses from with Shetland.
- This post is not suitable for remote working.
- Please be advised that for all posts working with children or vulnerable adults, references must be sought prior to interview.
The main activities are:
- Provide technical support for students studying on the NC Art and Design and the BA Hons Contemporary Textile courses;
- Demonstrating use of textile equipment and textile knitting techniques;
- To support students in project work as required by class lecturers;
- To contribute to a design programming and production service to develop the knitted textile designs of students and customers;
- To use existing CAD/CAM programmes to carry out production short runs;
- To undertake finishing tasks (linking, sewing, washing, pressing) for student projects and for customers during prototype stages;
- To assist academic staff in supporting student achievement and progression;
Applications should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Educated to SVQ2 or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Good communication, interpersonal skills and organisational skills;
- Ability to work with people in a learning environment;
- Experience of CAD/CAM programming;
- Understanding of garment construction and terminology.